Moringa Dal – Instant Pot or Stove Top
Dal is prepared along with superfood Moringa powder, to make a nutritious and
delicious side dish for Rice and Roti.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes (I.P)
40 minutes (Stove)
Servings 4-5 servings
1/2 cup moringa powder
2 cups of spinach
1 cup yellow lentils (aka toor dal or pigeon peas)
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
6 cloves garlic crushed
1 small onion chopped
1 green chili slit into 4 pieces
1 big tomato chopped
red chili powder to taste
2 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
4 cups Water or Veg Stock
1. Wash and soak lentils in water(for 20 minutes or so) and wash spinach
2. Put instant pot on saute mode high, then add oil and let it get hot. Exactly the
same with a cooking pot
3. Add mustard and cumin seeds, curry leaves. Fry for a minute, then add onion
and garlic, fry till gently golden.
4. Add green chili and saute. Then add tomato and fry till soft.
5. Add moringa powder and spinach and fry for 2 to 3 minutes, then add salt.
6. Add water/stock and lentils and mix well. Stove top - reduce heat to a simmer
with lid on, stir occasionally. Insta Pot - Put lid on, vent to sealing position, Do
manual high for 15 to 20 minutes. Do natural release or quick release after 8
to 10 minutes warm mode.
7. Serve with rice.